Is this FOO ok Re: HTML Table Markup

Hi folks,

the basic problem seems to be that HTML and XHTML 1.x don't support enough
information to describe whether they have been checked for accessibility.
This shouldn't come as a great shock. After all, they are based on
something designed 15 years ago to encode simple hypertext.

The people who originally designed HTML are mostly working on other tings
now - in TimBL's case, the semantic web.

The people who are trying to drag HTML into the 21st century are for the
most part working on XHTML 2.

It is possible to continue to add attributes, or try and add further
menaing to the contents of overloaded attributes in HTML 4, but it seems
like a mistake. An alternative approach is the use of metadata -
information really genuinely meant to let tools know if something has been
tested and is deemed OK... (among other purposes).

The Evaluation and Repair Tools group, when it is active, works on a way
of doing just this, by using EARL. It's relatively straightforward to say
that some table in a page is used for layout, and the process goes as
follows:

Identify the table. You can do this by giving it an id attribute and using
its URI, or you can use Xpointer to identify the Nth table in a page (or
the Xth table within the Yth table, or whatever)

For the sake of example, there is a table at http://www.microsoft.com/
which I calim is a layout table. It has the id attribute tMain. So I can
talk about http://www.microsoft.com/#tMain

Define an appropriate test, and give it a URI. For this esxample, I have
defined a rule - "a Given table is a data table not a layout table".
Passing the rule means you have a data table, failing it means you have a
layout table. The alternative is that you don't know or can't tell. This
rule is described at
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe/200407/earl/tests#DnotL (it actually
exists and you can use it. There are a number of these that Chris Ridpath
has described, too).

Then you record the data. Following
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe/talks/0312-earl (a step by step guide to
writing EARL), I make the following claim:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
          xmlns:earl="http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/EARL/nmg-strawman#">
   <earl:Assertion>

     <earl:subject>
       <rdfs:comment>I have said this is the Web Content that I got at a
particular time, instead of just using the URI directly as the subject a la
          'earl:subject rdf:resource="http://www.microsoft.com#tMain"
because I want to be able to check if this claim is valid, and the page
may change
       </rdfs:comment
       <earl:WebContent>
         <earl:reprOf rdf:resource="http://www.microsoft.com#tMain" />
         <earl:date>2004-09-16T11:51:36+0200</earl:date>
       </earl:WebContent>
     </earl:subject>

     <earl:result
rdf:type"http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/EARL/nmg-strawman#Pass"/>
     <earl:testcase
rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe/200407/earl/tests#DnotL"/>

     <earl:assertedBy>
       <foaf:Person>
         <foaf:name>Charles McCathieNevile</foaf:name>
         <foaf:mbox rdf:resource="mailto:charles@w3.org" />
       </foaf:Person>
     </earl:assertedBy>
     <earl:mode
rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/EARL/nmg-strawman#manual"/>

   </earl:Assertion>
</rdf:RDF>

This is a methodology that is already used in practice - UBAccess record
information this way to generate transformations of a resource, as does
IBM's new service. It doesn't even rely on me being able to edit the
table, so I can audit a site for someone else and record results. (Hera
was developed to do exactly this, along with a n umber of other tools).

cheers

Chaals

--
Charles McCathieNevile         charles@sidar.org