RE: Does 5.1 absolutely require TH?

From: Bailey, Bruce <Bruce.Bailey@ed.gov>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 13:21:52 -0400
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

> Indeed - and the code sample you mention definetly needs a row of table
> headers so that it is possible to tell which type of data is in which
> column.

Why?  The format (address, state, zip) is common enough (in the States anyway) that the type of data is implicit.  Again, is the example I provide, the AT user is not disadvantaged.

Does the question change if it were just a list of names and associated phone numbers?  I may be asking about how much content is needed before a table an author used for layout becomes a data table, despite (perhaps) what the author was thinking.  I am actually hoping to stay away from this slippery slope since it has been debated for years without satisfactory resolution!

> It's possible to guess, certainly, but wouldn't it be better to avoid that?

Yes I agree, but I don't care about that! <smile />

What is REQUIRED by 5.1 for conformance to the WCAG on this point?