Re: Layout versus data tables proposal for null summary attribute

But then you may as well revert back to adding alt="decorative image" to
images, instead of alt="".

Correct me if I'm misunderstanding the fundamental issue here, but:
ideally, authors should not be using layout tables anymore, just as they
shouldn't really be using images (in the HTML markup) for decoration, as
both these things can now be adequately handled by CSS. The discussion
about summary="", just as alt="", is - in my mind - really just about
finding an interim solution for those situations in which tables are
still used for a purpose that was not originally intended for them.

Patrick

http://redux.deviantart.com