Re: Filtering Default Text in Forms

From: Matthew Smith <matt@kbc.net.au>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 16:35:59 +0930
To: WAI Interest Group <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

As part of my original post, I wrote:
>>One possible solution that I can see is to have default text forming a
>>pattern

David Woolley replied:
> I think your use of "default" here is a key to the real problem.  This
> usage of text is not default text it is an instruction to the user.
> If it is desirable (and interetingly it was not, in my experience,
> used for form controls in pre-web applications), it requires a new
> attribute for the purpose, assuming that title is not adequate.
>
> True default text would be feeding back the user's previous input, or,
> more controversially, setting a default country based on that of the
> web site owner or the requestor's resolved domain name.

I reply:
Sorry, that was bad terminology on my part.  What I meant was "place marking
text".  "Default text" is what it is in my programme - the text that is
displayed by default, to be changed by the user; in this case, it is place
marking text.

I seem to recall Chaals stating recently a good reason to carry on using this
place marking text, hence why I am trying to work around this problem.

--
Matthew Smith
Kadina Business Consultancy