Re: Filtering Default Text in Forms

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 07:11:59 +0100 (BST)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

> One possible solution that I can see is to have default text forming a
> pattern

I think your use of "default" here is a key to the real problem.  This
usage of text is not default text it is an instruction to the user.
If it is desirable (and interetingly it was not, in my experience,
used for form controls in pre-web applications), it requires a new
attribute for the purpose, assuming that title is not adequate.

True default text would be feeding back the user's previous input, or,
more controversially, setting a default country based on that of the
web site owner or the requestor's resolved domain name.