RE: User Responsibility for Web Accessibility

From: P.H.Lauke <P.H.Lauke@salford.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 13:37:19 -0000
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

The whole issue strikes a sympathetic chord with my usual
"the onus is also on the user" battle cry.
The only part that really left a bad taste in my mouth
was the bit about Flash:

"If I utilize all the accessibility options in Flash, is
it still my fault that a user can't access my content because
they don't have the right version of the browser, plug-in,
or screen reader?"

The answer to that is a resounding YES, I'm afraid. It's one
thing saying that users can and should have the right
software for the right job ("you can't blame a hammer for
making a lousy screwdriver") when free options are available,
but expecting them to shell out quite a considerable ammount
of money on the "correct" screenreader software is misguided,
in my opinion, and unfortunately waters down the rest of the
argument.

Patrick
Patrick H. Lauke
Webmaster / University of Salford