Re: [WAI-IG] Serving my page in the right language

From: David Dorward <david@us-lot.org>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 16:41:33 +0000
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

On Sun, 2004-03-21 at 16:20, Apple Tv wrote:

This message was posted as a response to one of mine, but due to lack of
quoting its difficult to tell if it was actually intended as such.

> Regarding the User Agents

What about user agents? My only mention of a specific user agent was
lynx, and that was to illustrate the point that the site it was proposed
we follow the example of wasn't, perhaps, a very good example.

> I don't believe that we
> should section off communities by pigeon holing groups
> of English/German/French users together, purely
> because of a specific User Agent.

I don't believe anyone here has suggested that we do so, and I agree
that to do so would be a bad idea. The Accept-Language header (which has
been part of http for rather a long time) is supported by many user
agents (including Internet Explorer)

> This could only be done efficiently when all browsers
> have a visible and accessible option for isers to
> change their browsing language on the Agent. I would
> imaging this to be done using different requests for
> Uni-code.

As has been pointed out elsewhere in this thread, this header is
generally set to a reasonable default value. Of course the site should
provide means to override that preference.
--
David Dorward                                 <http://dorward.me.uk/>