Re: [WAI-IG] Serving my page in the right language

On 20 Mar, Jesper Tverskov wrote:

> The reason is obvious if you go to those web sites. The welcome page
> where you most choose language makes the web site look more important
> and more official.

  The reason *is* obvious. None of them know that HTTP exist, much less
  the Accept-Language header. Harsh, perhaps, but sadly true.

  If I set my UA to request resources in English, I have allready made a
  choice; an *explicit* choice, that if the resource exist in English I
  *want* it in English. Feel free to just look at the header on the
  entry-page and offer me links to alternative versions, but do for
  every deity's sake LOOK at the accept-language - it's there to make
  life easier for *users*; to make information *more* accessible.

  The user makes the choice. It's what the accept-language header is
  there *for*.

  And, please, using the accept-language header is no more a privacy
  problem than is walking into the local tobacconist and ordering The
  Times in English. The proprietor can no more identify me from that
  than from my choice in newspaper.

   [+46] 0708 557 905