Re: [WAI-IG] Serving my page in the right language

From: Jon Hanna <jon@hackcraft.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 14:30:18 +0000
To: "w3c-wai-ig@w3.org" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

> An URL to a web page should be a uniform resource locator serving the
> same content to all people, what is served should not depend on the
> browser or user agent people use.

What is served should depend on the user.

> It is bad practice to use the HTTP Accept-Language header as a code fork
> for what an URL should mean.

It is *extremely* good practice to use the HTTP Accept-Language header to choose
amongst different representations of the same resource identified by the URI.
The only times you shouldn't do this are:

1. You don't have a translation available (which unfortunately is most of the
time for most resources).

2. A user has explicitly picked a language (e.g. You might want the original enm
version of a piece by Chaucer rather an en translation, or you might want the
en version of a W3C document since it is the normative in the case of a
difference between it and a translation).

Of course it's important to set the Vary header as well.

Jon Hanna
"…it has been truly said that hackers have even more words for
equipment failures than Yiddish has for obnoxious people." - jargon.txt