Re: CV in a table?

From: Jon Hanna <jon@hackcraft.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 14:59:44 +0000
To: "tina@greytower.net" <tina@greytower.net>
Cc: "w3c-wai-ig@w3.org" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Quoting Jon Hanna <jon@hackcraft.net>:

> > > IMHO a <dl> is more appropriate. I used one at
> > <http://www.hackcraft.net/cv/>,
> >
> >   Now this confuses me. Are you saying that in the above "Jeroen" is a
> >   description of the term "Firstname" ?
>
> The use of definition lists for general name/value pairs is a bit of a
> stretch
> of the semantics, but a common one (em, I thought, maybe I'm completely
> wrong
> on this). I've seen it similarly used for heirarchical data and it's only
> just
> occurring to me that perhaps this is HTML abuse.

From <http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/lists.html>:
"Another application of DL, for example, is for marking up dialogues, with each
DT naming a speaker, and each DD containing his or her words."

That clearly isn't a matter of terms and descriptions, so I think it justifies
the use of <dl> for general name/value pairs. I'm now happy again that this
isn't HTML abuse, and indeed is quite appropriate.

--
Jon Hanna
<http://www.hackcraft.net/>