Re: CV in a table?

From: Jon Hanna <jon@hackcraft.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 14:59:44 +0000
To: "tina@greytower.net" <tina@greytower.net>
Cc: "w3c-wai-ig@w3.org" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Quoting Jon Hanna <jon@hackcraft.net>:

> > > IMHO a <dl> is more appropriate. I used one at
> > <http://www.hackcraft.net/cv/>,
> >
> >   Now this confuses me. Are you saying that in the above "Jeroen" is a
> >   description of the term "Firstname" ?
> The use of definition lists for general name/value pairs is a bit of a
> stretch
> of the semantics, but a common one (em, I thought, maybe I'm completely
> wrong
> on this). I've seen it similarly used for heirarchical data and it's only
> just
> occurring to me that perhaps this is HTML abuse.

From <http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/lists.html>:
"Another application of DL, for example, is for marking up dialogues, with each
DT naming a speaker, and each DD containing his or her words."

That clearly isn't a matter of terms and descriptions, so I think it justifies
the use of <dl> for general name/value pairs. I'm now happy again that this
isn't HTML abuse, and indeed is quite appropriate.

Jon Hanna
"…it has been truly said that hackers have even more words for
equipment failures than Yiddish has for obnoxious people." - jargon.txt