Re: CV in a table?

Quoting Tina Holmboe <tina@greytower.net>:

> On 10 Mar, Jon Hanna wrote:
>
> >> Firstname:   Jeroen
> >> Lastname:    Budts
> >> Birthday:    1983-10-19
> >
> > IMHO a <dl> is more appropriate. I used one at
> <http://www.hackcraft.net/cv/>,
>
>   Now this confuses me. Are you saying that in the above "Jeroen" is a
>   description of the term "Firstname" ?

The use of definition lists for general name/value pairs is a bit of a stretch
of the semantics, but a common one (em, I thought, maybe I'm completely wrong
on this). I've seen it similarly used for heirarchical data and it's only just
occurring to me that perhaps this is HTML abuse.

<off-topic>
>   (Btw, "curriculum vitæ" ?)

?
You mean my old-fashioned spelling of vitæ? Well using the ligature in a Latin
word seems correct to me from my very limited knowledge of Latin orthography.
Using it in English words such as archæology is something I did once in what I
realise now was a pretentious affectation, but still do because I'm used to it.
So whether I'm being correct or pretentious depends on whether you consider
"curriculum vitæ/vitae" to be Latin or English derived from Latin.
If the Americans can defend reducing ligatured ae and oe to a mere ugly e then I
can much more easily defend retaining the ligature. I did worry about how it
might appear given that I was looking for a job at the time I first wrote it
and at the time google could find no English-language use of "curriculum vitæ"
rather than "curriculum vitae" though of course it could find plenty of uses of
vitæ (in particular with regards to Vatican documents). Now "curriculum vitæ"
appears to be a lot more common, I wonder if I've started a trend.
</off-topic>

--
Jon Hanna
<http://www.hackcraft.net/>