Re: Re: Site Map

From: Jesper Tverskov <jesper.tverskov@mail.tele.dk>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 23:56:57 +0100
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

David R. Stong quoted me:

>The concept of site map is dated and should be deprecated. Most users
>understand the concept of table of contents much better.

and asked:

I'd appreciate hearing the origin of this statistic.

- - - - - - - - - -

10 years ago it was the notion that a site map could be a visual
representation of how a web site was organized. Such a site map was
thought to help us find our way making it easier to navigate. But the
idea never materialized except for rare probably only theoretical
artistic cases, giving us millions of utterly useless "site maps", poor
substitutes for good old-fashioned tables of contents.

I don't remember ever having seen a useful implementation of the concept
of a site map as a visual, even a 3D, representation of a web site.

The idea turned out to be just another case of The Emperor's New
Clothes.

Cheers,
Jesper Tverskov

www.SmackTheMouse.com