Re: Web Forms: Usability and Accessibility Question.

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 21:29:24 +0000 (GMT)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

> to understand.  I'm basically referring to the styling of form elements that
> take away the users ability to immediately identify them.  I'm talking about

Web 'designers' have been doing this with links for years[1].  If you read
the styles list, you will find quite a few complaints that browsers still
don't allow enough freedom to redesign standard user interface elements.

In my view, this is the primary obstacle to anyone over 40 learning to
use the web; you cannot write a simple set of rules for interpreting
pages; you need a vast amount of accumulated knowledge about design
conventions, continually updated to track fashions.

[1] I coined the phrase "hunt the link" to describe this sort of design
(although one frequent champion of graphic designers' rights, here, has
said that is perfectly OK to have pages where you have to wave the mouse,
looking for feedback, to find the links).