Re: anchors and Bobby

From: Chris Lewis <LewisCM@Cardiff.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 09:11:51 +0000
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

I think this is a bug in Bobby.

In http://www.timon.com/bobby1.html , Bobby isn't smart enough to realise that the named anchors surrounding the headings aren't links. Because you've already used the same text as the heading as link text in the list at the top of the page, Bobby triggers its "Don't use the same link text to point to different destinations" check.

Surprisingly, this only appears to be a problem if name is used and is OK with id.

There are a few solutions:

- ignore Bobby's warning in this case
- change the wording of the headings or the links in the list at the top of the page (not recommended)
- use id only to identify the anchors (and lose backwards compatibility)
- use an empty anchor (ie <a name="uno"></a>) before each heading

Hope this helps

Chris

>>> "R.S.V." <rsv@retemail.es> 21/01/2004 07:53:32 >>>

Hello:

Recently, I have got problems with Bobby. I get errors in
anchors (http://www.timon.com/bobby1.html):

"1.	Create link phrases that make sense when read out of
context."

If I use "id" (http://www.timon.com/bobby2.html) instead of
"name" Bobby doesn't report errors.

Another example: the page http://www.w3.org/wai/ reports five
errors Priority 2 in lines 32, 49, 80, 97, 118

Any idea about this problem? Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Ricardo Sánchez