Re: Issue with legend content wrapping to fieldset width?

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 07:41:31 +0000 (GMT)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

> block level.  That it is (also) a display: inline element probably
> contributes to not wrapping, as there is the problem of what display:
> block element acutually contains the wrapping.

I overstated the CSS status.  CSS doesn't normatively specify the
styling for any HTML element, but does include a typical browser
style sheet for HTML.  LEGEND doesn't exist in that style sheet, so
defaults to inline.  If that was not an oversight, it was probably
becuase of this qualification:

  The full presentation of some HTML elements cannot be expressed
  in CSS2, including......form control elements.....

That doesn't change the fact that you cannot have a DIV within a
LEGEND in valid W3C HTML.