Re: Issue with legend content wrapping to fieldset width?

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 07:39:40 +0000 (GMT)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

> My solution to this issue was to put a div inside the legend with the
** content inside the div and to specify width for the div.  It seems to

That is illegal.  The content model for LEGEND is %inline, whereas DIV is
block level.  That it is (also) a display: inline element probably
contributes to not wrapping, as there is the problem of what display:
block element acutually contains the wrapping.

** work fine with legend div {width: 100%;} along with form, fieldset and
** legend widths also specified as 100%.

Also on wrapping, note that a compliant email program (Mozilla can be
configured to be compliant, and many text mode programs only support
compliant behaviour) will display a long line as a long line,
not as a wrapped paragraph.  I've artificially wrapped it for the reply.