Re: ABBR and ACRONYM are for user agents not for end users

The following points you make on the problems of ABBR and ACRONYM are
based on
present implementation of user agents (browsers).  A browser could have a
preference which states that all ABBR and ACRONYM should be rendered in
place of the abbreviation.  The the screen and printing would include the
the expansion and there would be no issue with the mouse or keyboard.

See UAAG for more information:
http://www.w3.org/TR/UAAG/guidelines.html#tech-conditional-content

Jon

Jesper Tverskov in his article states:
1. The expansion can only be seen on the screen not when the document is printed.

2. The expansion only works for the mouse not for ordinary keyboard users.

3. The expansion is worthless for scanning. It can only be seen if you hover the mouse pointer over the short hand.

4. The browser most people use, IE for Windows, does not support ABBR but only ACRONYM; and even this tag is only rendered with a tool tip. The user must hover the mouse pointer over every single abbreviation to find out where some additional information is hidden.