From: w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org] On Behalf
Of David Woolley
Sent: Thursday, 24 June 2004 6:46 AM
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Re: alt text & punctuation - best practice?

> Depends on what the icons are and what they represent.  Does an elderly
> literate person forget that an envelope means email?

They almost certainly never knew that it meant that, so they would
assume it was snail mail address link (or wonder why there was no such
address next to it).  There is a rather subtle abstraction in going from
a picture of a paper envelope to an electronic communication mechanism.

Most elderly people are not computer literate, even though they are
literate in written language.

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---