RE: Cocoon

I've never used it. But I have been watching it's development from when it
was Wyona, but until about the last 6 months I have seen too many bugs and
problems on that list to warrant touching it.  Most of the recommendations
then were to keep downloading the nightly builds.  But it does seem to be
far more stable now and I see far less gotchas on the list, and I too have
been thinking to really put it too the test.

Yes, I absolutely agree that Cocoon/Lenya looks like probably the best
standards based solution for collaborative content.

I've been involved in working with CMSs since 1996, when we built a CMS at
Charles Sturt Uni for HSC Online (http://hsc.csu.edu.au/).  It was
primitive, but pretty good for that era, users did not have much problem
using it.

I'm not a CMS expert, but I have been focused on the whole problem of
collaborative authoring and standards based publishing, there are still so
many holes in the products out there.

One thing I feel they all lack, including Cocoon is a versioning and
metadata database based on Dublin Core.  If you normalise a database, based
on the DC elements, you get a very good data set to manage population of
pages and publication (including everything from meta tags, to img/alt,
etc), you also get a CVS snapshot of exactly which information was involved
in each publication.  It is often a requirement for web publishing that a
version of every change published be kept.  A daunting task, unless you have
a system to manage it.

I hope to find the time to take a good look at Lenya, but as you know,
something like Cocoon/Lenya, a quick look at can take days or weeks.

Geoff