MouseKeys and Accessibility

From: Jesper Tverskov <jesper.tverskov@mail.tele.dk>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 13:44:52 +0200
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Windows has this wonderful feature called MouseKeys, the keyboard
imitating the mouse.

Today many if not most websites are almost impossible to navigate
without a mouse.

A skilled keyboard user using MouseKeys can actually navigate most if
not all mouse-based websites, but not a blind person.

Is MouseKeys an alternative to making a website accessible for the
keyboard in the traditional sense of "tabbing" from link to link,
short-cut keys, etc.?

Is anybody out there using MouseKeys?
Are they helpful for some in the real world?

Or are MouseKeys always a very poor alternative to the real keyboard in
the traditional sense, and can MouseKeys only be considered a last
resort?

I never use MouseKeys, I have only tested them. I'm an expert keyboard
user but I mostly use the keyboard and the mouse together, since I have
the benefit of being able to use both forms of navigation.

Cheers,
Jesper Tverskov
www.smackthemouse.com