Re: Accessible road maps

From: Phill Jenkins <pjenkins@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 12:18:55 -0500
To: Access Systems <accessys@smart.net>
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org, w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org
>> I am also surprised at some of the "right's" arguments.  Individuals I
>> talk to who have disabilities prefer to have access to what everyone
else

>how many people with disabilities have you talked to in the third world??

Well, yes.  Even the so called 3rd world individuals want access to the
latest technology.  I thought that was your big issue?  You don't want to
give them old technology do you?  They don't want yesterdays DOS machines
any more than any one else.  I still see "technical accessibility"
separate from "affordability".  And I recognize the various stake holder
responsibilities, including that of industry to lower costs and that of
government to provide funds to purchase technology to bridge the digital
divide.

>> has access to, including web application using scripting.  Most
>> individual's who have disabilities do not want to be ghettoized to use
>> some other less capable web application.  Individuals who have
>> disabilities NEED the faster client side scripting just like everyone
>> else.  They want to come in the front door just like everyone else.
>
> We are dealing with a WORLD WIDE WEB. and I emphasize the WORLD WIDE
part.
> in many parts of the world people especially people with disabilities
have
> very limited bandwidth and service and cannot afford to deal with the
HUGE
> resources required to use the more "modern" browsers.  in at least one
> THESE people need access to the web maybe even more than we do.
> and we must continue to support their access.
> Bob

I guess we need to just agree to disagree with our approaches.  You're
trying to say in the name of affordability that everyone else in the world
must maintain backwards compatibility.  I would rather make the existing
and emerging technologies accessible and at the same time have additional
initiatives focus on improving the availability in 3rd world countries.
The affordability issues is a lot more than about the technical
accessibility.  As you point out, it includes the infrastructure - the
phone lines in Nicaragua.  You always seem to be talking about access to
the internet, while I am talking about the compatibility of the web based
information and applications with assistive technology.

(my personal opinion)
Regards,
Phill Jenkins