Re: Accessible road maps

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 20:33:31 +0100 (BST)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

> Most solutions rely heavily on JavaScript, and that is probably
> necessary since speed is a big issue.

I think all the common UK streetmap servers will work with scripting
disabled.

Some continental ones use Flash or Java (not JavaScript) to render
vector maps, but they are often very slow to update.

> I am more interested in how to make navigating the road maps more
> accessible for keyboard users.

First of all, I think we are talking about visual maps (vector maps
could be rendered by other means - UK maps are generally bitmaps,
though).  I would therefore suggest that the platform mechanisms for
keyboard handling of graphical data would be appropriate.  There are
usually mechnisms to move the cursor using the arroy keys.

What map servers can do is also constrained by intellectual property
rights on the mapping data.