Re: Fieldset legend text doesn't wrap

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 22:35:55 +0100 (BST)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

> I used a survey tool called Perseus for a project a while ago and it
** is meant to generate section 508 compliant forms for the questions and
** uses the fieldset and legend tags for the questions and answers.

That's an abuse of legend.  Legend is for grouping form controls.  It
is basically a platform native user interface component (which is one
reason why it has limited capability in IE).  In its original use, the
intention was to have just one or two words.

> The problem is that my client has found that when you increase the text size a> nd view on a low resolution (like 800x600), some questions don't wrap and th
> e text trails off to nowhere.

Same for your very long lines!  text/plain email is not intended to be
word wrapped, there are specific MIME formats for that.