Re: Bobby user checks

From: Carlos A Velasco <Carlos.Velasco@fit.fraunhofer.de>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 11:20:35 +0200
To: Helder Ferreira <hfilipe@fe.up.pt>
Cc: David.Pawson@rnib.org.uk, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

Hi Helder,

On 04/22/2004 11:01 AM, Helder Ferreira wrote:
>>So what do you do with (maybe even a majority of sites) which don't
>>have the document type declaration? Validate to loose 4 dtd?
>>  Or be strict SGML and fail it because it doesn't have the declaration.
>>regards DaveP
> In my opinion, the validation tool should fail, pointing out that a
> declaration is missing, and should give an example of what the webmaster
> should include! A link to W3C links that explain HTML and XHTML declarations
> should be nice too.

imergo reports the missing declaration, and still validates against the default.
When managing a big Web portal, it might be the case that someone has simply
"forgotten" to insert the DTD in the CMS template (or even worse, insert a
non-existing DTD), which is a very frequent case in our experience.

> The idea should be to "force" web developpers to stick to the standards and
> code web pages right. Also, the validation tool should provide explanation
> and examples. And it should fail if the markup doesn't validate properly!

We agree in the fact that web developers shall stick to standards. However, it
is also good to provide additional information against some user-defined
default. It is not very helpful to say "Sorry, pal. You forgot the DTD. Bye!".

Dr Carlos A Velasco - mailto:Carlos.Velasco@fit.fraunhofer.de
Fraunhofer-Institut für Angewandte Informationstechnik FIT
   [Fraunhofer Institute for Applied Information Technology (FIT)]
   Barrierefreie Informations- und Kommunikationstechnologie für Alle
   Schloss Birlinghoven, D53757 Sankt Augustin (Germany)
   Tel: +49-2241-142609 Fax: +49-2241-1442609