Re: Bobby user checks

From: Helder Ferreira <hfilipe@fe.up.pt>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 10:01:12 +0100
To: <David.Pawson@rnib.org.uk>
Cc: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

> So what do you do with (maybe even a majority of sites) which don't
> have the document type declaration? Validate to loose 4 dtd?
>   Or be strict SGML and fail it because it doesn't have the declaration.
>
> regards DaveP

In my opinion, the validation tool should fail, pointing out that a
declaration is missing, and should give an example of what the webmaster
should include! A link to W3C links that explain HTML and XHTML declarations
should be nice too.

The idea should be to "force" web developpers to stick to the standards and
code web pages right. Also, the validation tool should provide explanation
and examples. And it should fail if the markup doesn't validate properly!

Helder Ferreira