RE: [WAI-IG] Date & number format

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Cheryl D. Wise wrote:

> And being in the US I would use MM-DD-YYYY. That's where the problem comes

and even though I am in the USA I work internationally and long ago
adopted the DD-MM-YYYY format but it confused so many people I almost
universally now DD-MMM-YYYY spelling out the abreviation of the month.
ie  5 Dec 2003  or 05-Dec-2003

> in but in reality as long as it is clearly stated which format you want/need

which is why I preefer to put in the DD-MM-YYYY which replaces as the date
is typed in.

> Same thing about someone's earlier comment on requiring the + on phone
> numbers. In the US we don't use + so for many, if not most people it
> wouldn't register what they are being asked to provide.

and in some areas of the USA we now have to dial all 10 numbers even for a
local call.  so rather than using (***) ***-****  tele numbers are being
written 123-456-7890

> Forms are difficult unless you know for a fact that you will only get
> visitors from a limited geographic area. I have friends in New Zealand and
> Singapore who complain that the most commonly used contact and order forms
> will not accept their addresses because they don't allow enough lines or
> require items such as county or state that aren't used in their countries.

yes if I even suspect I will get someone from someplace else I put an
extra address line in and require a country to be entered

ie:
name
address1
address2
city
state/province/ken
postal code
country

Bob

safety deserve Neither liberty nor safety",    Benjamin Franklin
    NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail                   accessys@smartnospam.net