[WAI-IG] Date & number format

From: Lois Wakeman <lois@lois.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 11:50:25 -0000
To: "WAI list" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Jon,

Who says, in answer to "What's the date today?", "Oh, its 2003, December
5th"   ?

I think that is a more valid analogy than the format of decimal numbers.
(I'd never think of it when trying to decipher a date, but I am not a
programmer nor a mathematician.)

*If* there are no language constraints, then spelling the month out is
unambiguous whatever format (conventional US, EU, JP) you choose. (I realise
that is a big if)

And as Tina says, no Europeans I know use the ISO standard in real life,
which is presumably what we were originally discussing in the context of
form entries.

Lois Wakeman
http://lois.co.uk
http://siteusability.com