Re: Date & number format

From: <tina@greytower.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 11:25:12 +0100 (CET)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

On  5 Dec, jon@hackcraft.net wrote:

> ISO 8601 format (2003-12-05) since that is the international format and
> official date format in the United States, Canada, Australia, all of the
> European Union, much (all?) of East Asia and much of the rest of the world.

  Whilst this is slightly off topic, I would like to ask you - as a
  potential user - to contemplate this: Whilst the ISO format has been
  officially *adopted* by, say, the EU it is not *used* by us who live
  here[*].

  Please consider using the more humane dd-mm-yyyy format; or the even
  more human "dd monthname year" one.

 [*]
  Mostly because it is hopelessly unintuitive, unlogical, and gives us[**] headaches.

 [**]
  Example of 'us'. Sweden has adopted the ISO standard, but there is a
  local law that says: "The expiry date on foodstuffs SHALL be rendered
  as dd-mm-yyyy". I have, whilst living in Norway, Sweden and partially
  England, never seen people using the ISO format in real life.
  Accessibility is about real people, not programmers ;)

   [+46] 0708 557 905