Re: Date & number format

From: <jon@hackcraft.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 11:02:11 +0000
To: "tina@greytower.net" <tina@greytower.net>
Cc: "w3c-wai-ig@w3.org" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

>   Please consider using the more humane dd-mm-yyyy format; or the even

mm-dd-yyyy is occasionally used, so both it and dd-mm-yyyy are useless without
good locale data.

>   more human "dd monthname year" one.

Yes, I did say that I would *only* use 8601 in such a (human-targetted, as
opposed to human-readable but machine-targetted) context if I was forced to use
a short form, and I didn't have reliable locale data on the user.

>   Mostly because it is hopelessly unintuitive, unlogical, and gives us[**]
> headaches.

How can you say it's unintuitive. Arguably it's more intuitive to dd-mm-yyyy,
since yyyy-mm-dd works the same way as decimal numbers (bigger denominations to
the left).

The Japanese find it perfectly intuitive because they were used to yyyy/mm/dd
for Gregorian dates and they've now largely adopted 8601 for day-to-day use.

The Americans even find mm/dd/yyyy intuitive!