RE: To be or not to be...an alt tag, that is the question

From: Julian Vallis <lists@vallis.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 16:44:17 -0000
To: W3C WAI Interest Group <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Well, looking at the META tags, the developers of the site are apparently 'NetEmpire', a German concern at www.netempire.de. Judging from the fact they use flash & JS on their site with no apparent possibility for any kind of accessible content, I assume they have absolutely no idea or concept of WAI.

I suggest that the best way of sorting things like this are sending formal, but nonagressive letters to both the IPC and NetEmpire stating that the site is redone with proper regard for WAI - or else bad press will arise.

In any case, I can almost guarantee that the olympics.com site for the Athens games will also be troublesome.

Any knowledge that went with Sydney or previous Olympics will have gone down the pan, as I don't suspect there's anyone who worked on the Sydney site that will be working on the Athens site. IBM aren't doing or sponsoring the sites this time round - and I don't know who is. The current athens2004.com site is a smalltime Athenian concern.

kind regards

Jules