Re: To be or not to be...an alt tag, that is the question

On Dec 2, 2003, at 2:18 AM, John Colby wrote:
> So is there a list/site of 'good practice' with ALT? Just how
> much/little should one put into an ALT tag, how much in TITLE, and
> when should LONGDESC be used?
(...)
> Reason for the question is that none of the searches I've done say
> anything about the content of the various tags (O.K. Attributes) but
> concentrate on what they do. Seems that everyone has says that you
> have to but no-one has said what to do.

The WCAG 1.0 HTML techniques has a fairly large section describing what
to do:

http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10-HTML-TECHS/#images

See also the following resources for more general requirements for
alternate text:

http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10-CORE-TECHS/#text-equivalent
http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10-TECHS/#gl-provide-equivalents

http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10-HTML-TECHS/#images