Re: link in new window debate (was "Special message to website cr eators")

David Poehlman wrote:

>Opening any new window can be distructive.  It seems to me that it is much
>simpler and cleaner to keep us in the same window.

For you maybe.

But what about others who can benefit from being able to have two
windows open.

Imagine a skilled developer who knows about accessibility and usability
issues:  you'll never convince that person that new windows should never
be used.  She might listen if you were to say "minimize the use of popup
windows because I get lost when there are too many of them", or,  "let
me decide if I want popups or not". Hardcore denial only causes
developers to put up their defenses and as a result they will likely
ignore your pleas to get rid of popups. I would expect you and the
developer to adapt a little.

As that skilled developer I can not deny those who can benefit from
being able to see help in a new window while they work in another
window. Many, if not most sighted users would prefer this over having to
switch back and forth with the back button.

>If a new window is
>opened, I have to remember that it is there and I have to go back and forth
>between two windows if I want to read them.

If I have a short term memory disability, I won't be able to remember
the instructions unless they are open in another window alongside. It
works both ways.

> It's much eaiser and cleaner to
>use the back and forward buttons of the browser to achieve the same result
>among other ui features.

You don't need a back button in a help popup. Only a "close window" link
at the top so  you know you're in a  popup. It's when you don't know
you're in a popup window that disabling the UI features becomes a problem.

Opening external URLs in a new window is a different story, but again a
developer wants to keep you on his site. Denying them  new windows  will
on raise their  defences.  Ask them to open all external URLs in the
same window as a happy medium everyone can live with.

with all due respect
greg