Re: link in new window debate

From: Access Systems <accessys@smart.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 13:57:52 -0500 (EST)
To: Info at ATutor <info@atutor.ca>
Cc: Jon Gibbins <jon@nov5th.plus.com>, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Info at ATutor wrote:

> > Is it possible for a browser to detect the use of a screen reader? Or
> > other assistive technology?
>
> Not that we are aware of (except maybe HPR).  We generally avoid using
> browser detectors, and make sites universal to begin with.  An AT
> detector would be nice though.

no an AT detector would not be nice, it would stigmatize a person with a
disability and open the web site up to a host of legal problems if there
was percieved discrimination based on the belief that the visitor was
treated differently because of disability, true or not..

I think the concept of AT detector is really a bad road to go down for any
reason.   make the site browser neutral and you have no problems.

Bob

safety deserve Neither liberty nor safety",    Benjamin Franklin
    NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail                   accessys@smartnospam.net