RE: "Special message to website creators"

Not sure if this is specifically what we're referring to (I've missed some of the previous emails)....

But to open a link in a new browser window, you must add the "target=new" attribute in the <a href> tag.  It doesn't need to be specifically the word "new" - it can be "target=blank" or what have you.  But IE does not inherently open all links in a new browser window in default options.

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Davis [mailto:paul@ten-20.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2003 11:15 AM
To: Jon Gibbins; w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Re: "Special message to website creators"

I don't know if this has been said before, but doesn't Windows default to
opening each folder in new windows?

Depends what software you are using to build the page with, or what the
defaults are set at. In days gone by it was hard enough to get a visitor to
your site so was concidered foolish to allow a browser to effectively leave
your site when providing a hyperlink to somewhere else. So you would provide
instructions within the coding to open a new window instead. But this would
disable the back button. Not a good idea. What was demonstrated in the
posting a while back was the back button was not disabled when following a
link that opened a new window..............I think.

Paul
(now in a home for the mildly confused and bewildered)