re: "Special message to website creators"

From: Phill Jenkins <pjenkins@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 10:20:42 -0600
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Why do we keep having these debates about opening new windows?  We don't
seem to be having debates about dialog boxes, or error message dialogs, or
the various other GUI windows that have been used for over a decade by
screen reader users.   What problem are we trying to solve, the browser
problem, an authoring problem, or what?

For example, if the author codes the link to open in a new window, and the
browser+AT doesn't inform the user (if she wants to be informed) then its a
browser+AT problem.  The default behavior of opening windows in Windows XP
(and a lot of other GUIs) is good example of user configurability.  It's
not the authors/developers job to code around responsibilities of the
browser+AT.

Regards,
Phill