 From: David Woolley [mailto:david@djwhome.demon.co.uk]
 Sent: Tue 11/11/2003 20:57
 To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
 Subject: Re: Redirection

 > news item has its own url (e.g. www.salford.ac.uk/news/details/201/) but what's
 > effectively happening is that, internally and totally transparent to the user, the page
 > being displayed is actually www.salford.ac.uk/news/news.php?id=201 (which you

 Even with the original NCSA server, and presumably with Apache, you could
 have http://www.example.com/news.php/201 and the 201 is passed to the
 script as an environment variable and can be parsed for use as the selection
 parameter.  You should explicitly output a Last-Modified-Date header, and/or
 Expires and Cache-Control: max-age headers, as caches cannot infer a
 safe expiry date otherwise.  If you are feeling really good, you should
 also implement If-Modified-Since headers properly (or another correlator).

 I am actually rather irritated by these ?id=  pages as it shows that the
 software designer completely failed to understand what a URL is.  It is
 not technical instructions on how to create the page, but a structured
 name for the page.  Even if the HTML is generated from non-HTML source, there
 is no reason why the outside world should know that.