Re: Ouch!!! (was: RE: Nielsen's Latest Alertbox & a personal protest)

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 20:45:21 +0000 (GMT)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

> Hmmm... why not?  If I can "see" the button, then it's not a problem... but
> what if I can't see?  No, we don't need an <Hx> element, but we *DO* need to
> associate form inputs with clearly defined, "understandable" labeling, even

I don't believe that label was intended for use with submit buttons.  In
fact the decription in the HTML specification says it is for controls
without a naturally associated label.

I don't believe the WAI guidelines are asking for any more than to write
reasonably self documenting forms and then use label to associate text
with things like input type=text, which wouldn't otherwise have an
associated label.  I think the guidelines don't go beyond saying to use
label as the HTML designers intended it to be used.