Re: Nielsen's Latest Alertbox & a personal protest

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 21:06:24 +0000 (GMT)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

> The way graphical browsers on Windows treat <label> is analgous to the way
> most "static controls" (Windows parlance for plain text on a window) react in
> that if you click on them they affect the related input control. This
> isn't "extreme", it's basic usability in mirroring what users are used to from
In fact, even our marketing people had no problem at all in adopting
label for that purpose when told about it; it doesn't conflict with
graphic design considerations at all, and the usability benefit is
obvious.  (Admittedly, this was an internal change request system.)

The problem is that most "designers" have a very very limited HTML
vocabulary and rely on populist books, not the source documents.