RE: Nielsen's Latest Alertbox & a personal protest

From: P.H.Lauke <P.H.Lauke@salford.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 13:22:17 -0000
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
You can have a <label>, and use CSS to hide it. If I remember correctly,
screenreaders are able to still read out/associate the label content with the
input, despite any other shortcomings they may have with regards to
display:none (at least from some early tests I did with JAWS, but I'd be
glad if anybody could correct me on that).
You could also resort to a proper title on the input, rather than a <label>.
In both cases, something like "Search for:" could work nicely, IMHO.
And yes, I agree with Jon...labels mirror the OS behaviour (on some systems, anyway),
and improve things quite dramatically in some cases (e.g. checkboxes with a label effectively
make the "clickable" area a lot bigger and less fiddly).

Patrick