RE: Redirection

From: P.H.Lauke <P.H.Lauke@salford.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 13:11:02 -0000
To: "Matthew Smith" <matt@kbc.net.au>, "WAI Interest Group" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Matthew,

mod_rewrite on Apache (or similar approaches on other server software) are
your friend. Take for instance our news pages at www.salford.ac.uk/news/: each
news item has its own url (e.g. www.salford.ac.uk/news/details/201/) but what's
effectively happening is that, internally and totally transparent to the user, the page
being displayed is actually www.salford.ac.uk/news/news.php?id=201 (which you
cannot access directly this way now, as there's a redirection in place to catch people
trying to do that sort of thing). The rewrite rule is trivial, and for all it knows google
is seeing a myriad of static pages. I don't have access to the httpd.conf at the
moment (I'm actually at home, on leave ;) ), but it's something like:

RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule ^/news/details/(.*) /news/news.php?id=$1

news.php then does a bit of sanity checking on the GET parameter that was passed
on, and voila...

Just my GBP0.02

Patrick
________________________________