RE: wanted: ecommerce examples

From: Geoff Deering <gdeering@acslink.net.au>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 21:07:20 +1000
To: "Charles McCathieNevile" <charles@sidar.org>
Cc: "MGV" <tagi11@cox.net>, "Shelley Boden" <shelleyboden@enableuk.co.uk>, <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Yes, there is maybe two separate case studies to look at like this;

1) Sites that are designed properly from the ground up to meet the full
potential of universal accessibility.
2) Sites that try to address accessibility and web standards through a
retrofit engineering approach.

I'd put Amazon in the second category.  I think both cases studies are
interesting.

Actually, I feel where there is some interesting work in this area is in the
online banking sector.  Some banks have got such a strong backlash from
customers because of inaccessible sites that they have really gone back to
the drawing board to take a more universal approach.  It has proved too
costly for them in customer dissatisfaction to do otherwise.  I know one of
my banks finally moved to remove almost all images and just provide
HTML/CSS/DOM based interface.  It was a big improvement.  I don't know how
accessible it is, haven't really looked, but I did send them an email
congratulating them on the improvement and strategy.

Geoff