History and HTML authoring Re: portals

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@sidar.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 00:23:23 +0200
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
To: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>

I don't think this suggests that HTML has failed. The first HTML
authoring tool was a browser, with WYSIWYG authoring - it was helpful
that HTML could be written by hand, but I don't think Tim really
imagined that was how real people would do it.

HTML was a sort of glue format for linking together resources - the
very early Web had a wide variety of formats in common use, and people
settled on HTML as a good thing for most documents they put there...
which turned out mostly a good thing, I think.

The average CMS is essentially an environment for authoring a
particular kind of content, and the ones I have seen have the benefit
of being able to handle non-HTML content reasonably well, and the
drawback of not being very good for HTML unless you like writing code.
This is not true of them all, of course - some of them do HTML very
well.

Just my 2cents worth

Cheers

Chaals