Re: Helping Jaws (et al) pronounce our company name

From: Elizabeth J. Pyatt <ejp10@psu.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 15:35:21 -0400
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

As a linguist who has just been introduced to accessibility, this is
an extremely interesting issue.

1) I definitely agree that users of screen reader be able to add
their own pronunciations, but that wouldn't help with unfamiliar
words.

2) I don't think of pronunciation as a formatting issue myself, but
defintely content. I would prefer meta tag with standard transription
symbols. Something like

	"Unum": jun@m (IPA) where @ = schwa and j= English y
	"Unum": yun@m (American transcription)

	NaCl: sodi@m klorayd ("sodium chloride")
	I understand this is usuallly pronounced "nackle"?
	Does the <abbr> tag play a role here?

This would also help with the really unusual words I have to deal
with from Old Irish and other exotic languages/words. Jaws really
stumbles on these.

Obviously this would require extensive retraining in the Webmaster
community on language transcription issues, but for people who deal
with a lot of unusual words, language, it could be worth it.

BTW - I say it's their company, so they can pronounce it anyway they want :)

My two cents

Elizabeth Pyatt

P.S. Do any of the screen readers support the <lang> tag?
--
Elizabeth J. Pyatt, Ph.D.

210 Rider Building II
227 West Beaver Ave