Re: Helping Jaws (et al) pronounce our company name

From: Phill Jenkins <pjenkins@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 14:01:29 -0400
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

>No tags exist for this but one thing that might help is aural css.

Aural CSS is for styling the speaking, Loud, soft, gender, etc. - not for
pronunciation.

There is a draft of the Speech Synthesizer Markup language
http://www.w3.org/TR/speech-synthesis/#S2.1.4
that covers "say-as" and "phonemes".

And, ACSS is not well (if at all) supported, and my point is that it was
not designed so that the author/developer could specify how it should
pronounce the particular word.  Some non-assitive technology voice browsers
are supporting SSML, VoiceXML [see note1], etc.  The screen reader
developers do not seem to be following the voice browser paradigms.

note 1 VoiceXML implementation report
http://www.w3.org/Voice/2003/ir/voicexml20-ir.html

Regards,
Phill Jenkins,  IBM Research, Accessibility Services
http://www.ibm.com/able