Re: Call for feedback on accessible DHTML menus

From: James Craig <work@cookiecrook.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 10:15:13 -0500
To: gdeering@acslink.net.au
Cc: Derek Featherstone <feather@wats.ca>, tcroucher@netalleynetworks.com, "'WAI Interest Group'" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Geoff Deering wrote:

> Yes, you are right.  As I just emailed Tom, I'm so used to seeing this type
> of implementation which doesn't work when scripts are turned on.  It's great
> to see implementations that give developers the choice to implement
> something like this and it still address accessibility and usability issues.

Looks like this worked itself out, but I wanted a chance to respond to
the original since I was out yesterday. The issue had been addressed
previously and was noted in the page.

The third paragraph in the page says:

"Note: The sub-menus are not available without JavaScript, but these are
supplemental navigation. The TexasOnline site has redundant links
available from each main section to every sub-section and is therefore
completely accessible. Please do not note this as an error in your

However, due to some other feedback received offlist and on, I've
decided to scrap the keyboard access to the menus... While I believe it
greatly improved the experience sighted keyboard users have, it's become
obvious that accessing the menus with a screen reader has become much
more difficult.

This is dissappointing, because after all, that was the point of
rebuilding those menus.

James Craig