From: John Trollope [mailto:John.Trollope@unumprovident.co.uk]
Sent: 24 September 2003 10:37
To: 'WAI Interest Group'
Subject: Helping Jaws (et al) pronounce our company name

I had an ear-opening experience listening to Jaws sputter out the contents of our website. It gave a rather bad rendition of our company name "Unum" which is said "ah-nim", severly clipping the "ah" so that it was more along the lines of "ugh-nm". In Jaws, you can tell it how to pronounce words by going to Utilities | Dictionary manager then clicking on "Add" (the relevant entry for us would be "Unum" for actual word and "you num" for pronounce as).

Of course, I am going to propose that we write a page suggesting our users with screen readers to do this for certain company and industry specific words, however, are there any meta tags that Jaws can recognise for this? Ideally, I'd like something like:

Are there any screen readers/ spoken browsers for online content which support something close to this idea?

If not, perhaps it's an idea that this list could develop and then promote.

Thanks,
John

John Trollope
Senior Analyst Programmer
Management Services
Unum Provident
Milton Court
Dorking RH4 3LZ
http://www.UnumProvident.co.uk <http://www.unumprovident.co.uk/>
+(44) 1306 646 020
john.trollope@UnumProvident.co.uk

Health Insurance Awards 2002 - voted by Advisers

- Most Innovative New Product for Elixia 123
- Best Group Income Protection Provider for an unprecedented fifth year running!

Visit our website at http://www.unumprovident.co.uk

 -----Confidentiality Notice-----
This Communication and the information it contains:-
(a) Is intended only for the person(s) or organisation(s) named above
and for no other person(s) or organisation(s)
(b) May be confidential, legally privileged and protected in law.
Unauthorised use, copying or disclosure of any of it may be unlawful.
please contact us immediately by email at administrator@unumprovident.co.uk