colour contrast algorithm

From: Dey Alexander <dey.alexander@its.monash.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 18:42:02 +1000
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

The W3C's draft techniques document for Accessibility Evaluation and
Repair Tools at http://www.w3.org/TR/AERT#color-contrast provides an
algorithm for testing to see if text and background colours provide
sufficient contrast.

The document indicates, however, that the algorithm is a "suggested" one
that is "still open to change".  Can anyone shed any light on whether
this should be considered as a reliable indicator of colour contrast, or
whether some more authoritative/reliable algorithm exists?

Reason for my question: sponsors/clients of a project I am currently
working on believe that the requirements are too stringent. This view
was expressed after I used the algorithm to generate a report on a range
of colour options that were being considered--very few of them passed
muster, as I expected.

I would be extremely grateful for any advice or references to other
resources/expert opinions.

Cheers,
Dey