Re: colour contrast algorithm

From: Phill Jenkins <pjenkins@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 14:06:24 -0500
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

Joe wrote:
>The correct accommodation method is for an author to provide a means of
>altering colours, as with a stylesheet-switcher.
>
>The visitor can also adjust browser controls or employ a user stylesheet
>including !important declarations.

Certainly for text and backgrounds.  However, for inside images (i.e.,
logos, diagrams, photos, etc.) it's another matter.  To be able to reduce
the need for certain users to have to purchase special hardware or
software, I believe it is good guidance to give image designer and creators
"contrast" as a criteria  to always consider.  Of course that is not always
possible, for example when the image is actually a photograph (i.e.,
individual or scene), except for better lighting, there not much else one
can do about reality.

Regards,
Phill