RE: Jakob Nielsen Column -- PDF: Unfit for Human Consumption

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003, George Kerscher wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> There are multiple issues with PDF that have been stated over and over
> again. While I applaud the efforts to make PDF accessible, there are
> problems that are extremely difficult to overcome.

(chop specific points)

It seems to me that your points apply to HTML as much as to PDF, which
would seem to be an argument in favour of it (since arguments against
PDF as a Web format hinge on it presenting more problems than HTML).

Are you saying it's inherently worse than HTML for blind users, even
setting aside the additional cost of equipment capable of reading PDF?
Or merely that it's often problematic in practice?

My point concerned usability for sighted users!

--
Nick Kew

In urgent need of paying work - see http://www.webthing.com/~nick/cv.html