Possible problem with Fahrner Image Replacement

From: Joe Clark <joeclark@joeclark.org>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 22:26:35 -0400
To: WAI-IG <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>, uvip-web-test@yahoogroups.com

Fahrner Image Replacement, named after Todd Fahrner (but apparently
invented by C.Z. Robertson), is a standards-compliant technique that
uses stylesheets to provide a visible image, usually of
nicely-typeset words, that is backed up by marked-up plain text. All
the hip kids are using it.

Back in March, I had people try FIR in Window-Eyes and Home Page
Reader, and two of the test pages at
<http://www.stopdesign.com/log/default.asp?date=20030314> read
correctly. I suppose it is a problem that all three did not.

There is, however, the problem that screen readers are yoked to
visual browsers and inherit their stylesheet interpretations.
{display: none} really means {display: none}, and the treatment of
visibility: hidden is unclear.

The result?

One correspondent, using HPR on his machine, says that text marked up
as FIR disappears completely because it isn't an img element with
alt; also, {display: none} takes it out of the reading order

You can test this on my new, all-CSS page for Ten Years Ago in _Spy_,
fixed up by Matt Mullenweg:

I need people to throw every screen reader they've got at that simple
page <http://www.fawny.org/spy/?FIR> and see if you can read the text
embedded in graphics. There are two separate blocks, and I'm not
gonna tell you what they say-- the purpose is to see if you can read

Use all screen readers you have, *especially Jaws*, though I doubt
anyone from Freedom Scientific would bother looking into this.

Report back to me and I will summarize to the lists.

If this technique is really not working, then the most advanced
standards-compliant sites designed by the most conscientious people
at work today have a serious problem-- one of the problems they were
going very much out of their way to avoid.

     Joe Clark | joeclark@joeclark.org
     Author, _Building Accessible Websites_